Pronunciation of technical terms (American English)

Started by jch2103, May 22, 2020, 08:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jch2103

John

Mario

I always enjoy learning such things. English is just my 3rd language, after all...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

graham1

And it's nick-on, not nye-con. And don't get me started on aluminium (al-you-min-ee-um) not al-um-in-um...

Graham

PaulS

There is always a question whether to pronounce words according to the way they would be spoken by a "native" speaker vs. how they are commonly pronounced in a particular location by local speakers.  This thread reminded me of an old Saturday Night Live sketch poking fun at Americans who try use a "native accent" for words with a Spanish origin.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/enchilada/n9970

sinus

Quote from: Mario on May 22, 2020, 09:17:51 PM
I always enjoy learning such things. English is just my 3rd language, after all...

If you don't mind, the second is french, spanish ...?
I am simply curious  8)

In Switzerland we have 4 officials language, well, ahem, I speak only 1, maybe still a bit french ...
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Markus

Jingo

I have so much respect for folks from other countries.... you tend to speak your "native" language fluently, plus often 2-3 other languages equally well... the US is so far behind ... many can barely speak English correctly let alone learn and use 2-3 other languages!!

jch2103

Quote from: Jingo on May 23, 2020, 02:51:27 PM
I have so much respect for folks from other countries.... you tend to speak your "native" language fluently, plus often 2-3 other languages equally well... the US is so far behind ... many can barely speak English correctly let alone learn and use 2-3 other languages!!

That's the consequence of English being "everyone's second language". It makes it somewhat difficult for us English speakers to choose a second language... (And I've long since forgotten my elementary Russian. Here in the US, Spanish is becoming a candidate for 2nd language, although when I lived in upstate NY French, or rather Quebecois, was a candidate.)
John

Carlo Didier

Here in Luxembourg, most (luxemburgish) people speak Luxemburgish, French, German and English. Has it's advantages, but also disadvantages, like people from other countries that come to live and/or work here often don't bother learning Luxemburgish ...
Personally, I wouldn't imagine going to work and live in another country without learning the local language.

sinus

Quote from: Carlo Didier on May 25, 2020, 09:48:39 AM
Here in Luxembourg, most (luxemburgish) people speak Luxemburgish, French, German and English. Has it's advantages, but also disadvantages, like people from other countries that come to live and/or work here often don't bother learning Luxemburgish ...
Personally, I wouldn't imagine going to work and live in another country without learning the local language.

Phew, in this case, Luxembourg people are a lot more sophisticated then Swiss people.

We have here 4 official country languages in Switzerland:

Swiss German (spoken Swiss German, written (mostly) "High German, almost the same then in Germany")
French
Italian
Raetoromatsch

While there are of course people, what speak  all languages, but that is very rare.

Usually people speak the language from the part, in where they live, and that's it.
Of course they (like me) can speak a bit from other parts, but not very good, and mostly we cannot say, they speak 3 languages.

(Though if they search a job, wow, than they write as languages "German, Italian, French, Englisch" but if you speak with them, ahem, then the knowledge for the languages are very reduced.

I speak/understand Swiss German and a bit of English.
In France I would not starve from hunger  ;D but I would not say, I can speak French.
Italian I would speak with the hands and again with the hands and maybe a word or small sentence here and there, that's it.

Boah, I envy you, Carlo, cool. You would not have a problem to live in Switzerland  ;D
Markus

Carlo Didier

Quote from: sinus on May 25, 2020, 12:45:50 PMBoah, I envy you, Carlo, cool. You would not have a problem to live in Switzerland  ;D
I know. Been there on holidays (French and German parts). I love the Schwizerdütsch  ;D

sinus

Quote from: Carlo Didier on May 25, 2020, 05:39:43 PM
Quote from: sinus on May 25, 2020, 12:45:50 PMBoah, I envy you, Carlo, cool. You would not have a problem to live in Switzerland  ;D
I know. Been there on holidays (French and German parts). I love the Schwizerdütsch  ;D

;D :) :D
Markus