IM5 cache and recycle bin

Started by Carlo Didier, October 04, 2013, 09:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Didier

I regularly see thousands of files from IM5's cache in the recycle bin. Is this necessary?
I don't think that these files need to go to the recycle bin and it takes up a lot of space.

sinus

Maybe you can choose the behaviour in the preferences- cache?
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Carlo Didier

Quote from: sinus on October 04, 2013, 10:34:31 AM
Maybe you can choose the behaviour in the preferences- cache?
I can't see such an option there.

Gerd

Hi,

there is a setting in the preferences (see screenshot), I have on YES, but I can not see abnormal use of recycle-bin ...

[attachment deleted by admin]
_______
Regards
Gerd

thrinn

Carlo,
please be aware that this setting is not cache-folder specific. If it is set to Off and you delete a file within IMatch, it will be gone and can not be restored from the recycle bin. Same as in Windows.

I do not find an unusual high number of files in my recycle bin. But I work mostly with JPG that are not cached anyway (depending on your settings).

I can not tell for sure but I think that cached thumbnails will possibly be moved to the recycle bin when deleted / recreated. So your settings regarding cache sizes, purging etc. might help to answer your question. Maybe you did a rescan of mayn folders?

Regards,
Thorsten

Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

This was an oversight.

IMatch uses it's own file system wrapper. When deleting a file, the cache management module in IMatch did not explicitly request that the file should not go into the Windows recycle bin. IMatch by default uses the recycle bin, which usually does not harm because Windows is pretty good at keeping the recycle bin  in shape.

I agree that it makes no sense to move cache files into the Windows recycle bin. Build 120+ will physically delete cache files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on October 04, 2013, 02:35:36 PMI agree that it makes no sense to move cache files into the Windows recycle bin.
Exactly my thoughts.

Gerd

... and I found now also this big amount of deleted files, but located in the "local Temp" ...  ;)
_______
Regards
Gerd

Mario

IMatch does not store deleted files in the TEMP path.
It uses the TEMP folder for various reasons, e.g. to store temporary cache files when you set the cache to "Off". It deletes these files when it closes.
In case of a crash, temporary files may not be deleted (like with any other application).
Cleaning the TEMP folder regularly is recommended for Windows.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Gerd

Hi Mario,

you are right! But the local recycle bin is not so in my scope. Normaly only the default one that is also visible in the explorer in the directory-tree in C: ...

_______
Regards
Gerd

Mario

Windows has only one recycle bin.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Gerd

Ja, sorry , made a mismatch with the temp-dirs ...
_______
Regards
Gerd