Automatic translation of location metadata (+ some other geotagging questions)?

Started by plastikman, April 26, 2020, 02:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plastikman

I am trying to update and unify all location metadata for my library. For some states/provinces, there are mixed entries in both Dutch (my native language/birth country) and English language. I tried to change all of them to Dutch by editing them in batch in the metadata panel. After crtl + s saving the metadata a reload takes place and they all re-appear in English.

• What could cause/initiate this automatic rename?
  • Is it maybe related to the setting Menu > Geo Maps > Tab: Services > Language: en
  • Is there a way to use the local language for entries (e.g. Dutch for states in The Netherlands, German for states in Germany etc.)
  • I use Google Maps as geolocation service, when I lookup an address the default entry of information is in Dutch (while the menu setting above is set to english)
  • Also for Google Maps: reverse geocoding always suggest DE / Germany while if I use the native dropdown menu manually it is DEU / Germany (which I prefer). Anyway to get lookups to use the 3-letter country ISO code?
  • Finally: for adding keywords to a saved location, (1) can I use hierarchical keywords and (2) anyway to get it to function similar to keywords in the People Manager (e.g. with a Thesaurus lookup connection)

Who can answer these based on their experience? Thanks in advance.

Update: some further research showed some discrepancies between Location Shown and Location Created. Are these fields in some way linked?

plastikman

Some more digging. Looks like my metadata custom tab had some different Location fields e.g. Photoshop/XMP city while there is also Composite\MWG::State\State\0. Does the latter update multiple metadata fields?

Mario

QuoteUpdate: some further research showed some discrepancies between Location Shown and Location Created. Are these fields in some way linked?

Separate sets of files. Similar to the GPS coordinates for location shown and the GPS coordinates for location created.

IMatch does not make up languages.
If you use rev geocode, make sure you set the language correctly.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

plastikman

Quote from: Mario on April 26, 2020, 05:37:02 PM
IMatch does not make up languages.
If you use rev geocode, make sure you set the language correctly.

Do I set the language in IMatch preferences (as mentioned above) or in the admin panel of the cloud provider (or both)?

plastikman

Another small thing: Vatican City has VA as Country Code while the official 3 letter ISO code is VAT. For the other countries I entered the 3-letter code is always automatically entered.

Mario

Usually you set the language for the reverse geocoding in the corresponding option in IMatch (Edit > Preferences > GPS and Maps).
IMatch sends the language code to the service together with the coordinates. Not that not all services support all languages.

QuoteAnother small thing: Vatican City has VA as Country Code while the official 3 letter ISO code is VAT. For the other countries I entered the 3-letter code is always automatically entered.

I have no idea what you mean.
Do you refer to a selector in IMatch? Some display? Data filled by IMatch? Data returned by your reverse geocoding provider. Something in Windows...?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

plastikman

See attachments.

Both in Geo Maps panel -> Edit Location there is a lookup function
As well as in Commands -> File -> Reverse geocode selected files

By default, if you select a country IMatch automatically sets the right 3-letter Country Code. However, when I do a lookup in Google Maps I always get an address with a 2-letter Country Code back. In that case, I have to reselect Germany (since it was already set right from Google) and then IMatch will force the 3-letter Country Code.

With regards to Vatican City, I notice it is not in the country list so that's why I get the 2-letter country code regardless since that is what Google always provides apparently.

With regards to the language:

I notice that Google returns mixed language results in both Dutch and English when I lookup addresses in The Netherlands or Germany (see 2 examples I have attached). So from now on, I have to look more careful which one I selected.

Mario

When I look at the IMatch resources, I can find the Vatikan with a 2 and 3 letter code.
Note that I have no control over what Google returns in the reverse geocode data.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

plastikman

Mario

Strange. I see it in English and German...

Which language have you configured for IMatch?
Open a bug report perhaps so I can look into this for a later version.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

plastikman

The setting for locale in IMatch preferences was blank. I set it to "en" and restarted but nothing changed, I still cannot see it. I will file a bug report later today.

Mario

The "app locale" is only relevant for apps.

This dialog uses the user interface language configured for IMatch (with English as a fall-back).
I ran IMatch in both English and German and I can see the entry in either language setting.

Note that when your geocoding service returns something that is not in the list, you can manually override that and enter your own data.
Since most of these services are U.S.-based there are sometimes issues with non-English resources, locales, names etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

mastodon

I have this 2 or 3 letter problem, too.
Anyway to get lookups to use the 3-letter country ISO code?

Mario

You have the problem where and want to lookup what and where?

What your geocoding service returns may only be a tlc or nothing at all...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

mastodon

Sorry. So, I am using geonames.org, and the propblem is, that it provides only 2 letters for country code. So, this is not an IMatch problem. I don't know, how to set it, to get 3 letter country code. Anybody has a clue?

Mario

It does not do 3 letter codes. Most geocoding services only use the two letter code.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

plastikman

Lookup table override?

Edit: what about just getting Country name and assign country code locally? This already happens automatically when we assign country manually.