Saved Workspaces not linked to a particular folder

Started by graham1, June 07, 2020, 02:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graham1

Presently if a Workspace is created or saved, what is saved includes details of the folder in which this happened.  Thus selecting that Workspace later not only restores the panel and screen layout of that Workspace, but also takes the focus back to the folder in which is was originally created, even if you are working on an entirely different folder or scope.

My request is that there should be an option that creating or saving a Workspace should not save the folder location you happened to be in when it was created or last saved.  The user should be able to select a Workspace so that it restores the UI to the folder/panel/screen layout saved in the selected Workspace, without changing the current folder or scope.  In other words, Workspaces should save and restore UI appearances, not folder/scope selections.

If for compatibility reasons Workspaces need to continue to contain folder locations, then another possibility might be a new feature, "Layouts", selectable from the View menu bar, which would be (in effect) Workspaces minus folder locations, so that they could be selected on the fly to change the UI without affecting the current folder selection or scope.

Thank you for considering.

Graham

Jingo

+1 for a feature request that includes just saving panel locations... and perhaps the open/closed state of the panel.  If this was allowed, I could maintain a single "workspace" but save off numerous panel templates across different configurations.

This is similar to what I currently do with Display Fusion Pro... DFP allows you to setup "window panels" and each panel can have complete software components running within.  For example, when I am running Indesign, I have my main window and panels open on my main monitor along with several other panels open open on monitor 2.  I have XYPlorer running maximized in a panel, a vertical panel setup for Libreoffice/PDF file viewing and even another panel setup for a text editor.  I can easily switch between profiles which automatically minimize and maximize presets for these panels.

This might be overboard for IM... but the ability to save off panel open/close states and panel size/locations as presets would be most welcome!  The ability to know a panels open/closed status via an endpoint would allow apps to be able to handle this instead... not the location of the panel - but at least opening and closing them based upon their current status.

Carlo Didier

sinus

+1
Stay in the same folder would be better for me.
But I can of course imagine, that with another workflow it would be better like it is now.
(Say you have a folder-structure for images and one for other files and these are in different folder, then the current behaviour would be better).

If I could choose, I would choose stay in the same folder.

But overall not very important for me.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

ubacher

+1
(Considering how many times this has come up it should move up in priority)

Aubrey

+1 for keeping focus on current folder/category/timeline/collection when workspace is changed...

There is the layout per database which also got a lot of traction:
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=9501.msg67222#msg67222

and again, last used layout per database:
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=6191.msg42722#msg42722

Aubrey.

vbt

+1

There is a partial workaround. Having switched workspace select the dropdown box beside the blue back arrow, then the folder location you were previously in should be at or near the top of the selection list.