Monitor upgrade...

Started by Aubrey, November 22, 2018, 09:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

Very "Off-topic" !!  :)
I'm considering upgrading my monitor...
Anybody using the Dell UP2516D monitor and if so have you been happy with it? 100% Adobe colours.
Cost from US to Europe 450$ (BTW less than buying from Amazon in Europe amazon.de, etc. - can you believe with shipping etc.? where are we with global warming?)
Perhaps other suggestions?
I'm thinking of spending up to around 700 euros

thanks,
Aubrey.

stzari

No oppinion on the monitor ... (I'm using NEC since my old CRT, currently a PA241W  ;D )

A small look into a price search shows this monitor listed for about €400 by multiple vendors.
Also be advised, that ordering the monitor from the US will accrue VAT from customs (19% for Germany) and possibly a further custom tax.
And, last not least, you would have to check warranty restrictions.

Stamatis

Edit: Monitor type corrected

ColinIM

I'm also using NEC monitors.

I recently bought an NEC PA243W to 'supersede' and sit alongside my trusty older NEC PA241W because - after 6 years of running for almost the entire working day (I keep my monitor running once I've turned it ON for the day) - the PA241W backlight was no longer perfectly illuminated, although the variation was subtle and slight.

Here's a link to the PA243W, and of course you'll find it sold in various places for rather less than the 'recommended retail' price shown on this NEC page:

https://www.nec-display-solutions.com/p/uk/en/products/details/t/Desktop-Displays/Professional-Displays/rp/PA243W.xhtml

The NEC PA243W covers over 100% of the Adobe RGB gamut.

(Quote from NEC PA243 Technical Spec's:)
Colour Gamut Size = 107.3% Adobe RGB.
Colour Gamut Coverage = 112.4% Adobe RGB
(/quote)

The NEC PA242 model is cheaper but it only boasts 75% of the Adobe RGB gamut.

Hope this helps.

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Aubrey on November 22, 2018, 09:10:40 PM
Very "Off-topic" !!  :)
Anybody using the Dell UP2516D monitor and if so have you been happy with it? 100% Adobe colours.
Cost from US to Europe 450$ (BTW less than buying from Amazon in Europe amazon.de, etc. - can you believe with shipping etc.? where are we with global warming?)

Did you include import taxes and international warranty? If you buy it in the US you normally only get a local warranty and you pay extra for an international one.

lbo

Quote from: Aubrey on November 22, 2018, 09:10:40 PM

What's your goal to be achieved by the upgrade?

What's your equipment: Will you calibrate the monitor yourself (on site) or do you depend on the factory calibration?

The UP2516D may state 100% Adobe coverage but without calibration it likely won't meet it out of the box.

With the 700EUR limit, it's often a tradeoff, e.g. "Adobe RGB" vs. size.

I consider 25" way too small and tend to upgrade from 27" WQXGA to 34" or 38". But for 700 EUR you get only sRGB in this size.

A BenQ SW2700PT seems to be an excellent choice for your price limit. And the one tested by prad.de had nearly perfect calibration out of the box.

A Iiyama XB3070 WQS (from 800EUR) may be an option if you want a bigger Adobe RGB Monitor. But IIRC it disables brightness control in preset modes so you need to calibrate it. Read tests before you buy (e.g. prad.de).

For sRGB, there are much more options, cheaper and/or larger.

Oliver

Aubrey

Hi Oliver,
Thank you for taking time to put comments together.

Quote from: lbo on November 24, 2018, 02:03:41 PM
What's your goal to be achieved by the upgrade?

Just time to upgrade!

What's your equipment: Will you calibrate the monitor yourself (on site) or do you depend on the factory calibration?

I'm currently using 2x DELL FP2001 monitors. Calibrated using a Spyder. They both give good color rendition when compared to output from my Canon 7500 - using ICC profiles.
https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-ultrasharp-2001fp/specs/
These are some 10+ years old!!!

With the 700EUR limit, it's often a tradeoff, e.g. "Adobe RGB" vs. size.
I consider 25" way too small and tend to upgrade from 27" WQXGA to 34" or 38". But for 700 EUR you get only sRGB in this size.
The price limit is not absolute, but I don't want to overspend, as an enthusiastic amateur!
I'm working fairly close to monitor and was planning on still using new monitor with one FP2001 monitor for general purpose - still maintaining 2 monitor setup.

A BenQ SW2700PT seems to be an excellent choice for your price limit. And the one tested by prad.de had nearly perfect calibration out of the box.
I've looked at this and it was initially my first choice then I read about the DELLup2516D (it's a 2016 monitor though!)
I think the SW2700PT also has a hood...

A Iiyama XB3070 WQS (from 800EUR) may be an option if you want a bigger Adobe RGB Monitor. But IIRC it disables brightness control in preset modes so you need to calibrate it. Read tests before you buy (e.g. prad.de).
For sRGB, there are much more options, cheaper and/or larger.

I haven't looked at Iiyama! I'll investigate

I'm living in Cyprus, here these is a considerable markup on monitors compared to mainland Europe. I looked on Amazon.com and UP2516D is 450$ delivered to Cyprus including import taxes etc. (organized by Amazon US - if they've underestimated they pick up difference if over they will refund)). amazon.de won't deliver monitor to Cyprus. amazon.uk is v. expensive.

I'm going to hold off and rethink - as I have said the FP2001 calibrated is pretty well... but I do need to upgrade soon!

Aubrey.

lbo

Hi Aubrey,

how do you benefit from using AdobeRGB on your Monitor?

Oliver

Aubrey

Quote from: lbo on November 25, 2018, 01:24:40 PM
Hi Aubrey,

how do you benefit from using AdobeRGB on your Monitor?

Oliver

I was thinking that it will give me better color rendition between screen and print.

That having been said, my current Spyder calibrated monitor gives a pretty good result.

I'm rethinking the Dell monitor.

Aubrey

Jingo

In my "non-scientific" testing... I've found pretty much any monitor I've used with some basic calibration and ICC profiles provides me with results that are pretty darn close when printed on my PRo100.  The bigger issue - using those same images to share with others for viewing on non-calibrated monitors, phones and even TV screens!  I often use IMA to show photos to family on my large screen TV - and every so often run into a few that appear either dark, too bright or the colors are just a bit off.... a result of tweaking the images on my calibrated system for printing. 

Someday perhaps all viewing devices will be auto-calibrated to the same levels.. and the only obstacle will be creating printer ICC profiles that match!

sinus

Quote from: Jingo on November 27, 2018, 01:54:51 PM
In my "non-scientific" testing... I've found pretty much any monitor I've used with some basic calibration and ICC profiles provides me with results that are pretty darn close when printed on my PRo100.  The bigger issue - using those same images to share with others for viewing on non-calibrated monitors, phones and even TV screens!  I often use IMA to show photos to family on my large screen TV - and every so often run into a few that appear either dark, too bright or the colors are just a bit off.... a result of tweaking the images on my calibrated system for printing. 

Someday perhaps all viewing devices will be auto-calibrated to the same levels.. and the only obstacle will be creating printer ICC profiles that match!

I agree absolutely.
Not that long ago, I calibrated my monitors often and looked and this tests ... to see then, that even professionals (not only one) graphic-people did some last changes on a uncalibrated monitor, next to an open, light window.

Hence I am looking nowadays for a good, but not expensive monitor (well, ok, my Eizo ColorEdge CG222W is still here).

If the target is not really very professional, I do not more care that much. And, btw, better not talk here about profiles, tif or jpg and so on.  ;D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Aubrey

Jingo, Sinus,
Thank you for your enlightening comments. The suggestions from all who have contributed have been useful, and as I suspected a choice is not easy. My initial thought on the DELL UP2516D has now been shelved. I'm not sure that I really need 100% Adobe coverage.

Quote from: Jingo on November 27, 2018, 01:54:51 PM
In my "non-scientific" testing... I've found pretty much any monitor I've used with some basic calibration and ICC profiles provides me with results that are pretty darn close when printed on my PRo100. 
The more I read about monitors, your comments are along the lines of my current thoughts. I'm an amateur/enthusiast photographer. Therefore perfect matching is not super critical.

I need to upgrade from my current pair of DELL 2001FP monitors (1600x1200) resolution. (20.1" diagonal), I've had them since 2006!!! They calibrate fine, but...

My current thought is to go to one 27" monitor, and retain one FP2001 for text etc.
I work relatively close to the monitors so I'm thinking that one 32" screen is too big; the general consensus appears to be that one must be working at least at arms length from screen to use 32" screen. I'm usually at less than 55 cm.

I also have questions about going to UHD, due to small font, so probably 2560x1440 resolution should be sufficient.

I had started to look at BENQ SW2700PT (Euro 700 on Amazon.de, plus delivery to Cyprus Euros 63) but do wonder if I should continue to search in lower price range, and remove the criterion for 100% Adobe... any suggestions  :) ?

Based on my initial comments others have suggested NEC PA243W, this is 24" and more expensive than the Benq SE2700SW

My graphics card is a Nvidia Quadro 5000.

Aubrey.

Jingo

Glad to help Aubrey... the choice isn't easy!

I just purchase a widescreen LG 34" 1440p monitor... the thing is colossal on my desk.. BUT - using screen splitting software (DisplayFusion Pro), I am able to setup configurations for different software "situations".  For example, I can now run IMatch on single 34 monitor... what a beautiful thing to have all my panels docked in place on a single display (allowing me to use shortcuts for panels that MUST be open) AND still have a near 1080p main window! 

I also have a configuration for using Indesign... my 34" is split into 2 windows (firefox and other apps maximized in one and Indesign maximized in another).  My 2nd 24" 1440p monitor is then setup with 3 windows (for Xyplorer in #1, for Indesign's workspace panels in #2, and for MSWord or PDF viewing in #3).  The colors are very similar between the 2 monitors and printing on my Pro100 gives me very adequate results (for my non-professional use!).

Highly recommend looking into the widescreen monitors if you have the desk room.... but - if I had to do it all again, I would go curved because sitting at just beyond arms length from the monitor does mean the far edges are bit "Off center" from my FOV.... the curvey nature of the curved models helps with that...

Good luck!! - Andy.