A "test" database

Started by Richard, August 28, 2014, 07:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

After downloading the IMatch Trial version in 2001 I read the Tutorial and took the following tip to heart.

QuoteWhen you start working with IMatch, you should copy some of your images to a new folder on your hard disk and then create a test database using these images. If you make a mistake, you won't lose any important data, and you can delete your database and these duplicate images at any time.

I used my Test database to learn about IMatch and kept it through all the years. Anytime I wanted to try a feature I was not familiar with, I would do so using my test database.

The Help files for IMatch 5 contains a similar tip:

QuoteIf you are using IMatch for the first time, it is a good idea to setup a small test database first.

Using Windows Explorer, copy one or two of the folders containing your files to a new folder on your disk. Add only this copy folder to your first database.
This allows you to try out all the things in IMatch without ever modifying or risking your original files.

If you know how IMatch works, create your final database and start working with your real files.

I would recommend that all IMatch 3.6 users use the converter first on a 3.6 test database, NOT ON YOUR MAIN DATABASE. Once you have your old test database in IMatch 5, use it to learn about IMatch 5. If you do not have a test database in IMatch 3.6, create one and play with it there. Once you are satisfied with your settings, then convert it. That way you will be working with something familiar in IMatch 5 and without any risk to your original files.

I especially recommend this approach for those with large IMatch 3.6 databases. I believe it is a mistake to convert a database with nnn,000 images to IMatch 5 without some experience working with IMatch 5.

Will this approach take time? Absolutely but in the long run it may save time due to fewer mistakes in IMatch 5. Although Mario has done his best to make IMatch 5 familiar to IMatch 3 users, it is impossible to make all features in IMatch 5 the same as those in IMatch 3. Many old methods from IMatch 3 would have limited IMatch 5. These changes are for the better but it will take time to learn them and the safest place to learn is by using a test database.