Assigned and Categorized meaning

Started by WzeroMN, July 29, 2014, 08:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WzeroMN

I show a lot of files that are shown as Unassigned and some that are direct assigned. What does that really mean? What is the difference between unassigned and uncategorized files.

What does direct assignment mean?
Hierro cnadente, batir de repente

ovrevid

See Category Formulas in IMatch help and scroll down to Functions and Keywords. It's all explained there.

Vidar
-- Vidar

lenmerkel

Quote from: WzeroMN on July 29, 2014, 08:45:56 PM
I show a lot of files that are shown as Unassigned and some that are direct assigned. What does that really mean? What is the difference between unassigned and uncategorized files.

What does direct assignment mean?

Imagine you have a category Dog, which is a child of parent category Mammal. If you explicitly assign an image to category Dog, that is referred to as a direct assignment. Because of the hierarchical nature of the 2 categories, your image also has an implicit assignment to Mammal. This is because according to the hierarchy, a Dog is a Mammal (the reverse is not true). This is not a direct assignment.

Unassigned means that an image has no direct assignments, as defined above. However, it may be assigned to a category defined via a formula, or as part of a data-driven (i.e. dynamic) category. In this case, it would be referred to as Categorized, but Unassigned.

Uncategorized means that an image has no assignments to any categories at all, whether directly, via formula, or by being part of a data-driven category. An Uncategorized image must by definition also be Unassigned.
Over the hill, and enjoying the glide.

WzeroMN

Thanks for the explanations. That clears it up.
Hierro cnadente, batir de repente