Versions stacks: a conceptual question

Started by sinus, January 16, 2014, 02:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi,

After searching and playing with versions, I see a conceptual problem, and I guess, it could be for quite a lot of users, who does use relations, a "problem".
It is the same problem like banzai had on 1 of september. And he had no answer.

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=750.msg4431#msg4431

The problem/question I trie to ask here with some text and at the end with some pictures uploaded.

Say, a user does photograph with Nikon and produces Nefs.
On an event she/he produces some images (nefs).
From these images (in my example 6) the user creates 6 jpgs, so there are 12 images in IM5.

I think, this is not an uncommon situation.

Now the user has these 12 images, if expanded (toggle version stack) on the screen, first the master (nef), then the version (here jpgs). The version-icon shows also, what is the master and version, we can also use the version-panel (in my example not below, but on the right side).

This looks fine, as you can see here in the first upload (version1).

Now the user want to collapse the version stacks, this works fine, but as you can see, the master is on top.
And usually (I think) the photographer will see the last (corrected) version, not the original raw-image. The user knows, there are versions, because there are the icons.

This image you can see in upload "version2".

But I am pretty sure, not all, but a lot of users would like to have instead the master on top, better the (last) version on top.
You can see this in upload "version3".
Here the user can see the same, that these images has versions, but the top-corrected images are on top.

But as you can see, if you look exactly, these corrected "tops" are NOT the NEFs, but proxies.
I had to make it so, because (if I am not totally wrong) IMatch 5 does not offer a better solution (like in a normal stack), to bring the versions on top.
To work with proxies like here, could be a solution, but the problem you can see, if the user expands the version stacks.
You can see this in upload "version4".

Because we have for each nef a proxy (jpg in this case), IM5 displays now the proxy first (in reality a nef) and then the real jpg.
I am sure, this will be the case for a lot of users. So IM5 shows now two equal thumbs, and this is surely not very good.

So, my question (like banzai):

1) Did I understand something wrong?
2) If not, could there not be a solution? I do not know, but I could imagine, that Mario could create a solution, what does not has a big impact on the master-version-system.

Some final thoughts:
I think, the proxy-idea could be a solution. MAYBE Mario could add a new "Proxy-Icon" to show the user, this is in fact the master, but displaying a proxy.
And then, if the user uses the proxy, in the expanded view the proxy should disapear and showing again the master (like in the version-tab).
I have other ideas, but I guess, this could be the easiest, because for Mario would this mean "only"  8) :-[ ;)

If a user uses proxys:
- in the collapsed view (maybe) show an additional icon and display the proxy (like it is now)
- in the expanded view do NOT display the proxy, because mostly it makes no sense

I would really be thankful, if you have ideas to solve this "problem" or maybe I am also wrong, but if I look at banzais post, I think, there are other users out there with the same problem.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Ferdinand

I agree.  I decided not to use a visual proxy for RAW files because it's too confusing.  I would use a visual proxy if the proxy was displayed on a collapsed version stack.

sinus

Quote from: Ferdinand on January 16, 2014, 11:18:11 PM
I agree.  I decided not to use a visual proxy for RAW files because it's too confusing.  I would use a visual proxy if the proxy was displayed on a collapsed version stack.

Thank you, Ferdinand, for your input. In the last time I made some posting concerning Versions or stacking and had no answers.
So I was a bit irritated, if I am the only one with some "troubles" or if I am maybe simply mad  :-*  :'(

I am not sure, I think, I should post a "feature request" with something like:

Versions with Proxies:
- in the collapsed view show a changed version-icon and display the proxy 
- in the expanded view do NOT display the proxy

(I upload two pictures to show this, in the first picture I changed slightly, but visible, the icon for the master)

OR

- Let the user choose, that a version is on top of a collapsed version stack.

Thanks for listening.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Markus

sinus

Markus